NOV 21 (PATERSON, N.J.) - Attorney General Jeffrey
S. Chiesa announced the arrest of the alleged ringleader and 14 other
defendants in the takedown of a major narcotics supply network that
allegedly was distributing millions of dollars in heroin out of a
number of heroin processing “mills” and stash houses in Paterson
yesterday. Arrest warrants are outstanding for two other defendants
who remain fugitives.
Attorney General Chiesa made the
announcement in Paterson at the Passaic County Sheriff’s Office with
Criminal Justice Director Stephen J. Taylor, Sheriff Richard H.
Berdnik, Special Agent in Charge Brian R. Crowell of the U.S. Drug
Enforcement Administration’s New York Division, Acting Special Agent in
Charge Robert G. Koval of the DEA’s New Jersey Division, and Capt.
William Riggins of the New Jersey State Police. The arrests stem from
“Operation Dismayed,” a six-month investigation by the Division of
Criminal Justice Gangs & Organized Crime Bureau, Passaic County
Sheriff’s Office and DEA New York Division. The New Jersey State
Police and DEA New Jersey Division assisted.
Last week, on Nov. 13 and 14, a
multi-agency force, led by the Division of Criminal Justice, was
deployed in Paterson and Prospect Park to arrest the alleged drug
suppliers and raid their heroin processing and stash houses. Detectives
searched 10 residences and one vehicle in the investigation, seizing
three kilos of bulk heroin, another kilo of heroin packaged in
thousands of glassine envelopes for individual sale, and about $255,000
in cash. The bulk heroin has a “wholesale” value of more than
$300,000, and could have sold for in excess of $1 million once cut and
individually packaged for sale on the street. The drug network is
believed to have supplied multiple kilos of heroin per week to other
suppliers and large-scale dealers. They did not generally sell to
street-level dealers. The ring allegedly distributed heroin to dealers
in northern New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.
The ring’s alleged leader, Segundo Garcia,
36, of Prospect Park, was charged with leading a narcotics trafficking
network, a first-degree crime that carries a sentence of life in
prison, including 25 years without parole. He was also charged with
first-degree distribution of heroin, first-degree possession with
intent to distribute, and second-degree conspiracy. All other
defendants were charged with first-degree possession of heroin with
intent to distribute or second-degree conspiracy to distribute heroin.
“Drug dealing is at the heart of the crime
and violence plaguing Paterson and our other cities, so taking down
major drug suppliers like these defendants, who we allege were
polluting our communities by distributing millions of dollars in
heroin, will have a real impact on public safety and quality of life,”
said Attorney General Chiesa. “We will continue to pursue these
proactive, multi-agency investigations that take aim at the ringleaders
and the main sources of narcotics, not just street-level dealers.”
“This investigation dismantled the Segundo
Garcia heroin trafficking organization operating in New York and New
Jersey,” said Special Agent in Charge Crowell of the DEA New York
Division. “Heroin trafficking organizations are the primary threat to
our region and are fueled by the diversion of pain medicine. The
tenacity of investigators assigned to this task force has prevented
hundreds of thousands of glassines from being distributed to our
communities throughout the region. I highly commend the task force team
for their efforts on behalf of the public they are sworn to serve.
They completely dismantled multiple heroin mills and removed the
dangerous threat of alleged significant drug traffickers from our
community.”
“We allege that these drug suppliers
operated multiple stash houses around Paterson, as well as heroin mills
where they cut the heroin and packaged it into bricks – bundles of
about 50 ten-dollar glassine envelopes or ‘bags’ of heroin, ready for
distribution on the streets of our cities,” said Director Taylor of the
Division of Criminal Justice. “In addition to the three kilos of bulk
heroin we seized, we seized nearly 500 bricks of heroin, each with a
street value of several hundred dollars.”
“This was a true multi-agency operation,”
said Passaic County Sheriff Berdnik. “I commend the Attorney General
for the coordination his office provided in making these arrests
possible. I feel strongly that the only way to truly reduce narcotics
trafficking and street crime is by arresting the individuals involved in
creating and implementing the distribution network. This operation
will certainly go a long way in reducing drug trafficking in Passaic
County.”
Investigators seized 1.5 kilos of heroin, a
kilo of cocaine, and packaging materials and equipment from an alleged
heroin mill located on the first floor of 447 East 21st Street in
Paterson. The cocaine has a street value of approximately $35,000.
They seized an additional 1.5 kilos of heroin and $220,000 in cash from
a second mill located on the first floor of 246 Maryland Avenue in
Paterson. Workers clad in aprons and surgical masks allegedly worked
at these and other locations to cut, process and package heroin for the
network.
Garcia, a Dominican national, served more
than five years in federal prison for drug dealing beginning in 2000.
He was subsequently deported by federal immigration authorities, but
re-entered the U.S. illegally and allegedly established his large-scale
heroin distribution network in Paterson. A second man, Wilfredo
“Willie” Morel, 39, of Paterson, allegedly worked with Garcia to obtain
large quantities of heroin and also exercised independent leadership
control over other members of the supply network. He was charged with
second-degree conspiracy to distribute heroin.
Three of the defendants arrested allegedly
served as “middle managers” for the heroin supply network under Garcia
and Morel, helping direct the payment of monies and re-supplying of
heroin to the wholesalers. They were charged as follows:
- Carlos Gomez, 35, of Paterson. Conspiracy to Distribute Heroin (2nd degree).
- Malcolm “Gorilla” Hayes, 44, of
Paterson. Distribution of Heroin (1st degree), Possession of
Heroin With Intent to Distribute (1st degree), and Conspiracy to
Distribute Heroin (2nd degree).
- Rigoberto Perez, 33, of Paterson. Conspiracy to Distribute Heroin (2nd degree).
Five defendants allegedly served as lower-level managers and suppliers. They were charged as follows:
- Alvin Alba, 24, of Paterson. Conspiracy to Distribute Heroin (2nd degree).
- Braulio Minaya, 27, of Paterson. Conspiracy to Distribute Heroin (2nd degree).
- Wendy Taveraz, 30, of Paterson. Conspiracy to Distribute Heroin (2nd degree).
- Christopher Lee Cox, 27, of Pittsburgh, Pa. Possession of Heroin With Intent to Distribute (1st degree).
- Franchot J. Keeling, 40, of Paterson.
Possession of Heroin with Intent to Distribute (1st degree).
Cox and Keeling were arrested on Oct. 11
on Route 80 when investigators stopped the Dodge Caravan in which they
were traveling. Execution of a search warrant revealed 425 bricks of
heroin in the van. Another 65 bricks of heroin were seized last week
in a search of Minaya’s house on Danforth Avenue.
The other seven defendants who have been
arrested or are being sought on warrants were alleged workers in the
supply network who were involved in processing, packaging and
transporting heroin. They were charged as follows:
- Manuel Almonte, 44, of Paterson.
Conspiracy to Distribute Heroin (2nd degree). *Almonte is a
fugitive being sought on a warrant.
- Leonardo “Flaco” Flores, 53, of Paterson. Conspiracy to Distribute Heroin (2nd degree).
- Francisco Hidalgo, 56, of Paterson.
Conspiracy to Distribute Heroin (2nd degree). *Hidalgo is a
fugitive being sought on a warrant.
- Randolph Breton, 34, of Brooklyn, N.Y. Possession of Heroin With Intent to Distribute (1st degree).
- Abraham Diaz, 44, of New York City. Possession of Heroin With Intent to Distribute (1st degree).
- Robin Vargas, 19, of Paterson. Possession of Heroin With Intent to Distribute (1st degree).
- Bienvenido Rodriguez, 40, of New York
City. Possession of Heroin With Intent to Distribute (1st degree).
Almonte and Flores are taxi drivers who
allegedly transported members of the network and heroin to and from the
various locations used by the criminal enterprise.
The investigation was conducted for the
New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice by Detective Travis Johnson,
who was the lead detective, and other members of the Gangs &
Organized Crime Bureau, under the supervision of Lt. Christopher
Donohue, Sgt. Ho Chul Shin, Deputy Attorney General Annmarie Taggart
and Deputy Attorney General Lauren Scarpa-Yfantis, who is Deputy Bureau
Chief. The investigation was conducted for the Passaic County
Sheriff’s Office by its Narcotics Enforcement Bureau, with assistance
from other member of the Sheriff’s Office. The investigation was
conducted for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration by DEA Group D-32
with assistance from members of DEA Division 30 and DEA Newark
Division.
Attorney General Chiesa thanked the New
Jersey State Police Intelligence Section for its valuable assistance in
the investigation.
The arrested individuals were lodged in the
Passaic County Jail. Bail for Garcia was set at $350,000 cash, with a
bail source hearing required. Cash bails were set for the other
defendants ranging from $125,000 to $250,000, with bail source hearings
required in every case.
The complaints that were filed are merely accusations and the
defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty. The charges will
be presented to a grand jury for potential indictment. The charge of
leader of a narcotics trafficking network carries a sentence of life in
prison, including 25 years without parole, and a criminal fine of up to
$750,000. The charge of first-degree possession of heroin with intent
to distribute carries a sentence of 10 to 20 years in prison and a
fine of up to $500,000. Second-degree crimes carry a sentence of five to
10 years in prison and a fine of up to $150,000.